JOB TITLE TAX ACCOUNTANT
IMMEDIATE MANAGER DIRECTOR, GROUP FINANCIAL CONTROL
We are looking for a Tax Accountant to join our growing Finance team on a Part-Time Contract. Ideally we are looking for someone to work 25 hours per week.
- Preparation and submission of all VAT returns correctly and on time
- Reconciling data across the general ledger and VAT control accounts, in conjunction with the Finance Team.
- Advising the business on day to day invoicing matters (purchases and sales), and other ad hoc matters.
- Ensure compliance with SAO regime and develop environment to ensure adherence to CCO
- Maximise cash tax savings and cash flow benefits
- Drive down third party professional fees
- Keep appraised of tax changes and developments and brief the senior management team on any impactful changes
- Raise tax awareness throughout the Group and provide tax related training
- Support the Corporation tax process, Witholding Tax returns and CIS returns
- Support around other related tax issues, PAYE, NIC, IR35
- Advise on tax position relating to property transactions
- Provide tax advice and support for major projects, capital development projects, corporate restructuring, M&A, expense management
- Review tax planning around major transactional work and critically assess proposals presented to the Group.
- Develop and maintain an up to date knowledge of business activities
- Establish, develop and maintain productive working relationships with colleagues within own team and the broader MFG group
- Take part in meetings as a team member and actively share experience, knowledge and solutions with colleagues
- Exercise absolute integrity in respect of confidential matters
- Promote equality and diversity and implement the Equal Opportunities policy
- Comply with Health & Safety policy and procedures at all times in the workplace
- Maintain records management systems in accordance with policy
- Adhere to values of integrity, professionalism, accountability, openness and independence
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS REQUIRED
The successful candidate should have at least 2 years of experience in a role with significant VAT management accounting responsibilities, including experience of reconciling VAT return data to the general ledger and checking the accuracy and completeness of data sets. This role is not suitable for someone who does no
t have experience of working in-house on VAT accounting related matters.
We would expect appropriate vocational qualifications. There could however be many routes to gain the experience required for this role and we therefore do not specify specific required educational achievements.
On the job training will be required but the candidate will be expected to have a detailed understanding of VAT.
The successful applicant will have:
- Competence in using ERP systems including extracting information from accounting systems, and reconciling data to the general ledger.
- A good understanding of UK indirect tax rules including invoice requirements, foreign exchange VAT accounting, place of supply rules and reverse charge VAT accounting.
- The ability to spot unusual issues outside the applicant’s knowledge and experience, and to refer these internally for further consideration.
- Strong team player skills but also be capable of working methodically and independently.
- Strong attention to detail
- An ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally.