The Health, Safety and Environment (HSE) Advisor is responsible and accountable for providing technical and specialist support to the Health, Safety, Sustainability and Environment (HSSE) Manager, and proactively supporting the needs and expectations of other departments and stakeholders.
The HSE Advisor reports the HSSE Manager who runs and manages the HSSE department.
- Assisting the HSSE Manager to:
- Implement, coordinate, monitor and maintain the company Integrated (health, safety, environment & quality) Management System (IMS).
- Implement sustainability initiatives
- Develop and deliver HSE related internal training courses to company employees.
- Undertaking internal audits to confirm conformance with planned arrangements, as defined in the company’s management system.
- Oversight, coordination and management of the company’s training platform.
- Arranging training courses for employees and maintaining the company training matrix.
- Obtain, manage and retain the relevant required legal authorisations and permits
- Establish and maintain positive working relationships with local authorities and enforcement agencies as required.
- Oversight, coordination and management of the company’s incident management processes.
- Maintaining a wide range of legally required HSE certificates, warranties and infrastructure development records.
- Develop suitable and sufficient risk assessments to address business activities and meet legal obligations.
- HSE awareness and training information for circulation to employees and contractors as applicable.
- Specified HSE reports as required by the business.
- Coordinate and deliver HSE induction training to new employees and contractors as applicable.
- Provide relevant technical support to the Operations Team and Contract Managers regarding site specific management system processes.
- Conduct vendor appraisals as required to support and maintain the Approved Contractor List.
- Act as the point of contact for Head Office related HSE matters and issues.
The post is based at MFG's Head office in St. Albans with regular travel to company service stations required. Additional hours may also be required to be worked from time to time over the contracted working hours to ensure that needs of the business are met.
Main internal contacts of the post are:
- HSSE Manager
- HSE Director
- Sustainability & EV Projects Director
- EV Project Managers
- Group Infrastructure Manager
- Infrastructure Managers
- Development Managers
- Regional Managers
- Area Managers
- Accounts Department
- HR Department
The main external contacts of the post are:
- Representative(s) from external suppliers
- Contract Managers
- Local Authorities
- Enforcement Agencies
A variety of communication methods will be used.
The main sources of complexity are:
- Ensuring that the HSSE department's needs are effectively met.
- Understanding the duties placed upon the organization by UK health, safety and environmental legislation.
- Identification of risks and opportunities and the provision of suitable solutions.
- Confirming that legal obligations and other applicable requirements are effectively met
- Being able to effectively communicate with internal and external stakeholders.
PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Relevant University Degree.
- IOSH Managing Safely
- NEBOSH General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety
- IEMA Practitioner Certificate in Environmental Management
- Effective communication skills; verbal, electronic and written
- Computer literate with excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs.
- Excellent organisational skills with the ability to prioritise tasks and to work to deadlines
- Ability to:
- Achieve targets and maintain accuracy
- Develop positive working relationships with colleagues and external contacts
- Make rational decisions based on sound judgement.
BENEFITS AT MFG
- Competitive compensation & bonus scheme
- Buy & sell holidays
- Private medical scheme, including dental and optician cashback
- Discount platform at over 900 retailers
- Support for professional qualifications
- Employee assistance programme & wellbeing support