JOB TITLE FUELS PRICING ANALYST
IMMEDIATE MANAGER FUELS PRICING MANAGER
Under the guidance of the Commercial Manager Fuels or Fuels Director, to thoroughly review, approve and communicate daily retail fuel prices to the Retail Operations team/MFG sites, which adhere to MFG Retail price strategies and maximise fuel gross profit.
To produce and maintain fuel pricing, costs, volume, margin and associated reports.
Leadership and Training
- Plan workload in order to ensure that retail pricing functions are completed in an efficient, timely and accurate manner.
- Communicate effectively with members of the Retail Services and Operations teams.
- Ensure training documentation is kept up to date particularly in relation to new tasks.
- In conjunction with the MFG fuels pricing system ensure daily fuel prices are reviewed and approved that:
- Meet or exceed budget cash margin target.
- Meet or exceed budget volume target.
- Adhere to the individual site pricing strategy.
- Adhere to current network pricing strategy.
- Ensure timely distribution and confirmation of approved price changes to the MFG Operations team or Site retailers/managers as appropriate.
- Maintain standard and special price day pricing strategies and constraints.
- Ensure the timely and accurate distribution of the management reports.
- Update fuelspricing.com as appropriate.
- Maintain MFG Site details eg:
- New Sites
- Site Disposals
- Brand and Contracted Cost of Product Changes
- Site/Retailer details
- Monitor and add new competitors to the MFG Pricing system that are identified via the Catalist site data.
- Update MFG Pricing system with the Catalist monthly changes in site ownership and brands.
- Maintain communication with Operations to ensure daily pricing activities capture:
- Temporary site issues/closures
- Temporary marker or road closures
- General stock or other issues
Strategy Development and Implementation
Assist with the reviews of the entire MFG network’s pricing strategy on an annual basis, and on a site by site basis where appropriate:
- A site is consistently over or under-performing on margin or volume.
- A new marker site is identified via Catalist or Retail Operations.
- A marker site closes.
- A marker site changes brand or ownership.
- A marker site changes relative price strategy.
- Market infrastructure changes (New Roads, Housing or Commercial developments).
Provide Management reports as required on a daily, weekly, monthly basis, including but not limited to:
- Current margin, price position and replacement margin reporting
- Daily Volume and Margin report
- Monthly Volume reports including card type breakdown
- Monthly relative price position
Liaise with PDI, Experian Catalist, OMJ, Tankfil, Fairbanks and the fuel suppliers as required.
Undertake any other duties or tasks commensurate with the role, as required.
The post is based at MFG’s Head office in St. Albans but some business travel may be required from time to time. Additional hours will also be required to be worked from time to time over the contracted working hours to ensure that needs of the business are met.
A rota system will be organised within the team to cover out of hours / weekend business needs.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS REQUIRED
- A working knowledge of the physical properties of all motor fuel types.
- A working knowledge of the workings of a petrol station forecourt.
- A working knowledge of Fuels cost price methodologies (Platts/Argus) etc.
- An understanding of MFG’s Contract Manager based mode of operation.
- Knowledge of Price Elasticity modelling, Game Theory and other Retail Pricing tools/methodologies is an advantage.
- Effective communication and influencing skills; verbal, electronic and written.
- Computer literate with advanced Excel skills.
- Effective organisational skills with the ability to prioritise tasks and to work to deadlines.
- Attentive to detail.
- Ability to work flexibly in a team.
- Ability to develop systems and processes.
- Ability to use initiative to identify and apply solutions.
- Ability to work accurately within strict time deadlines.